TIP!

(TO PRINT RECIPES - highlight all that is needed then right-click and hit 'print' and voila! Easy as pie! ;)

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Heavenly CHOCOLATE BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP Cake

Who would have thought banana and chocolate made such a great couple - in a cake? Surely not I!


I know chocolate tastes great on bananas (banana split ice cream anyone?) but ice cream is involved so that doesn't count. If I hadn't tried this recipe for myself, I would have never thought in a million years it would be this delicious.




In fact, I can't believe how deliciously chocolaty, dense and moist,(thanks to the sour cream) this cake turned out - all while keeping the banana flavour intact!



There was so much batter from this recipe that I was able to make a bundt cake (yes, that's a bundt cake turned upside down), plus 8 mini loaves.



Next time I'll be halving the ingredients.

The mini loaves weren't as moist because they were a bit over baked, but still delicious! I baked them together with the cake but next time I'll be taking them out much sooner before the cake is done.



The recipe called for light sour cream but I used regular. By the way, anyone who's ever made banana cake quite often, like myself, knows the riper the banana, the sweeter the cake. Actually, the sweeter AND more flavourful the cake! Sometimes I wait for my bananas to be almost black before using them.



I wish I would have taken better pictures (or a video) to show you how moist this cake was but usually when I'm drooling over food, I don't think of these things, you know? Sorry.



Hopefully this is good enough:




I also wish I knew where this original recipe came from, but unfortunately I don't. Shame on me. (I'm still searching for the source so if you recognize your recipe, let me know!)

**************************************************

Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup MARGARINE, softened*
  • 2 cups WHITE SUGAR
  • 4 eggs
  • 6 BANANAS, smashed
  • 2 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT
  • 3 cups All-purpose FLOUR
  • 2 tsp BAKING SODA
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened COCOA POWDER
  • 1 cup light SOUR CREAM**
  • 1 cup semi-sweet CHOCOLATE CHIPS

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 9x5" loaf pans (or whatever pans you want to use!).
  2. In a large bowl, cream together margarine, sugar and eggs. Stir in bananas and vanilla
  3. Sift in flour, baking soda and cocoa. Mix well.
  4. Blend in sour cream and chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  5. Bake in oven for 60 mins or until done.

I used butter.
** I used regular sour cream.


And there you have it! Try it out and let me know!








  • If you want a milder chocolate flavour - use Dutch process cocoa powder. If you prefer a stronger chocolate flavour - use regular unsweetened cocoa powder.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon