TIP!

(TO PRINT RECIPES - highlight all that is needed then right-click and hit 'print' and voila! Easy as pie! ;)

Wednesday 6 July 2016

Deliciously Simple BAKLAVA Box Recipe

Omg. This turned out delicious! I guess when it comes to making Baklava, you can never go too wrong. But who am I to say? I'm no expert. You don't want it too complicated though and this recipe was perfect to follow! Usually I try to avoid recipes off packages because more often than not, they don't turn out as good as you'd expect them to be - at least that's what I keep hearing.


I'm sure there are many great Baklava recipes out there but I took this one to work (like everyone always writes) and EVERYONE actually loved it (like everyone always writes). Maybe work is the worst place to taste-test your recipes? Anyways, it was all annihilated within a few hours.


The phyllo sheet brand was called 'Amira' but of course you can use any brand you want. I included some conversions for us Canadian folks.
By the way, there was a 'strange' ingredient it called for in the recipe which I've never heard of before much-less used - so I had to go out and purchase it. It was called ROSE WATER, and I only needed 1 tsp of it but I bought it anyways. Who knows, maybe that's the secret ingredient?




Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb (454 g or 16 oz) PHYLLO DOUGH, thawed
  • 1 lb (2 cups / 500 mL or 16 oz/ 454 g or 4 sticks) melted BUTTER
  • 3 cups crushed WALNUTS (or almonds)
  • 1/2 cup white SUGAR
  • 1 tsp CINNAMON

For Syrup:

  • 2 cups SUGAR
  • 1 cup WATER
  • 2 tsp LEMON JUICE
  • 1 tsp ROSE WATER


Instructions:
Combine all ingredients for syrup in small pot and bring to a boil at med-high heat for 5-7 mins. Set aside to cool.


  1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
  2. Divide phyllo sheets into 2 equal parts. (Trim to fit baking pan as needed).
  3. Place half the sheets on bottom of pan. Spread nuts, cinnamon and sugar over entire surface of phyllo sheets. (Tip: To keep the rest of the sheets from drying out, cover with damp cloth).
  4. Place second half of phyllo sheets on top of mixture. Using a sharp knife, cut deep into sheets to form square or diamond shaped pastries.
  5. Pour melted butter over phyllo sheets and nuts.
  6. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until top is golden brown.
  7. Pour cooled syrup over hot baklava.

I made these in a hurry so no step-by-step shots were taken. However, non were needed! 



In the end, it looked nothing like was shown on the box (of course), but...



 it sure tasted delicious. Not bad for my first attempt at making Baklava. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon